Barry Railway Carriage 163
Barry Railway carriage 163 was built in 1895 at the Manchester works of Ashburys for the Barry Railway Company in South Wales. It was built to diagram 5 and has two first class and three second class compartments. 163 originally had a six wheeled underframe and was numbered 15 when new.
The Barry Railway became part of the Great Western Railway in 1922 and the coach was renumbered 6058. It was withdrawn from running stock at Swindon on 24th November 1928. The coach, together with its sister No. 164, was purchased and transported to the Clent Hills in Worcestershire, where it was incorporated into a holiday home. Here the pair resided until removal to the SVR at Hampton Loade station in 1992. 163 completed the journey although 164 had already been broken up when 163 was saved.
View the carriage survey entry for 163.
< < < Return to Rolling Stock